So far, the world is beginning to acknowledge that when it comes to academics, more women are really choosing the path of STEM. To support this cause, the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM was brought into existence for 2 years now. Therefore, the goal of this movement is to help support women and girls that wish to pursue a career in any STEM-related course at the tertiary level.
inline with this, if you know that as a woman or a girl, and you are passionate about Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics, you can apply. Also, as a woman, if you have a Bachelor’s degree in any of the STEM courses. The British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM 2022 might be all you need to go live and study in the United Kingdom.
The United Kingdom
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is also known as the United Kingdom (UK). More so, the United Kingdom is made up of four countries, England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The capital and the largest city is called London. For clarity, the Island of Great Britain, part of the Island of Ireland, the North-Eastern part of the Island of Ireland, and many small Islands within the British Isles are all included in the United Kingdom. Also, the Queen, Queen Elizabeth II has reigned over these countries since 1952 till date. As it stands now, the United Kingdom is among the global power and has the fifth-highest economy globally.
Furthermore, the education system in the United Kingdom is divided into four parts respectively. Primary education, secondary education, further education, and higher education. In short, the education system in the U.K is divided into key stages. The university education system, among other stages is among the best in the world. Little wonder the U.K has become one of the top destinations for international students seeking to fulfill their academic.
British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM
So, in partnership with 26 universities in the U.K, the British council launched this scholarship program. The aim of the scholarship is for it to benefit and encourage women and girls in STEM from Asian countries, Egypt, Turkey, and Ukraine. Again, this scholarship is to help women and girls that do not have the financial capacity to further pursue their education. This will help them get over the financial burden and focus on their career, and also inspire more women to pick an interest and pursue careers in STEM-related fields.
Additionally, this scholarship program will help to increase more opportunities in STEM for the girl child. You see, UNESCO found out that fewer than 30 percent of researchers worldwide are women. Not only that, only 30 percent of female students select STEM-related fields in higher education. According to a global report, there is a very low turnout of female students in STEM-related fields. Like, Information and Technology (IT) have just three percent of females in the field globally, Natural science, Mathematics, and Statistics have five percent of females, Engineering, manufacturing, and construction have eight percent of females.
Eligible countries for the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM
Countries eligible for both Master’s scholarships and Early Academic Fellowship:
- Sri Lanka.
Countries eligible for only Master’s scholarships:
- You must be a woman, or identify as a woman
- You must be a passport holder or a permanent resident of the eligible countries listed out
- Have never studied at a degree level or a higher level or lived recently in the U.K
- Have submitted an application to study an eligible postgraduate program in one of the program areas and at one of the following U.K university partners assigned for each region. However, this application must be done before the submitting of the application for a British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM
- Candidates must be willing to take up a course of study in the U.K for the academic year from September/October 2022 to 2023
- Must be able to demonstrate a need for financial support
- Candidates must have an undergraduate degree that will enable them to gain access to one of the pre-selected postgraduate STEM courses at a U.K university
- Candidate must attain the level of English required for postgraduate study/research at a U.k university
- You must be passionate about the course of study and be willing to engage as a committed British Council Scholarship alumni
- Candidates must be active in the field with work experience or a proven interest in their subject matter
For more information: https://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/women_in_stem_eligibility_criteria_-_new_0.pdf
- English Language support
- Special support for mothers
- Academic prestige. The universities in the United Kingdom are among the world’s best and leaders in STEM subjects
- Tuition fees will be paid
- Visa fees
- Health care coverage
- Travel costs
- Monthly stipends
How to apply
- Applications must be made directly to the participating universities.
- More information will be updated in each participating universities
- Closing dates vary between courses but range from 28 February to 10 April 2022. please check the closing date carefully with the university you plan to enroll in.
Eligible countries, U.k universities, and course types
Countries: Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
Universities: University of Strathclyde, Middlesex University, the University of New Castle, University of Durham, Manchester Metropolitan University, City University of London, the University of Manchester, University of Aberdeen, Goldsmiths University of London, University of Southampton, Imperial College, University of Stirling, the University of Edinburgh
Course type: Masters
Courses on offer:
- Data Science
- Environmental Science
- Public Health Systems
- Information Technology
- Renewable Energy and Energy Management
- Project Management
For more information on eligible countries like America, East Asia, Turkey, and Ukraine. The eligible colleges and universities, the course types, and courses they offer, please visit: https://www.britishcouncil.org/study-work-abroad/in-uk/scholarship-women-stem
Apply for the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM if you are eligible and from the above-listed countries before the closing dates. The scholarship got you covered from all angles.